August. Folk calendar
August got its name from the name of the Roman emperor Octavian Augustus. The old Russian name is sickle (from the word sickle): this month they are harvesting bread. August was still magnified by bogeyschik, a hospice, reserve-sobirius, a glow (from bright cold dawns), lenorast (flax spread on dewy meadows). In the Ukrainian and Polish languages, August is called sickle, and in Belarusian - stubble, i.e., the month of the harvest.
The day lasts more than 15 hours in August, the highest temperature - 37 ° C (1938), the lowest average monthly temperature - 12.4 ° C (1884). The earliest freeze in the air is August 11 (1939), on the soil - August 25 (1921). The average rainfall is 68 mm with fluctuations from 1 mm (1938) to 151 mm (1918).
August ends the summer. The first half of the month is hot summer, the second half is primary autumn: unstable, although also warm weather - from 20 onwards the average daily temperature will go below 15 ° C.
August Seasonal Events Calendar
|winter rye||August 4||July 6 (1948)||August 15 (1942)|
|oats||August 9th||August 1 (1940)||August 29 (1941)|
|Sow winter rye||August 20||August 14 (1899)||August 27 (1904)|
|Leaf fall begins||August, 26th||August 1 (1890)||September 17 (1897)|
|Temperature transition below 15 ° C||August 27||August 6 (1893)||September 17 (1938)|
|Potato tops fade||August 28||August 10 (1930)||September 16 (1945)|
Popular proverbs and signs of August
The most intense month of field work: it is necessary to mow, and to plow, and to sow. For the whole year they stock up bread: "the mouth is large in winter."
- In August, the sickles warm, the water cools.
- Augustus - gustar, gnawed, pickle: plenty of everything.
- Pot beats the key, and the reaper takes his.
- Lingonberry half ripe - whole rye.
- The flight of birds: swifts, swallows, cuckoos, orioles, lapwings.
- The month of August smells like an apple.
- In August, everything was in stock: rain, and a bucket, and sulfur weather.
- In August, before lunch, summer, and after lunch, autumn.
- August is the month of cold dawns, plentiful grew.
- Rainbow from north to south — wait for rain, from east to west — the weather will be fine.
- Honey mushrooms appeared, summer is over.
- A lot of berries - to the cold winter.
- Swifts fly low and scream - to rain and wind.
- Ducks and geese rinse very strongly in the water - in the rain, subsided - in a thunderstorm.
Detailed folk calendar for August
August 1 “Makrida is the signpost of autumn.”
- See Autumn on Macrid: Macrid is wet and autumn is wet, Macrid is dry and autumn too.
- Makrid equips autumn, and Anna (August 7) equips winter.
- If it’s wet on Makrida, then the suffering is rainy. Bucket on Makrida - dry autumn.
August 2 - Ilyin’s day. By Ilyin’s day, the first koloba and donuts from the new crop were baked. They brought the first sheaf from the fields and put it in the front corner.
- Light is on the decline, and night is on the increase.
- The Prophet Elijah is ending the summer - he is burning alive.
- In Ilya, summer is before lunch, and autumn after lunch.
- Since Ilyin’s day, the night is long and the water is cold.
- On Ilyin’s day, a deer dipped a hoof - with a bathing end.
- On Ilyin’s day, the stone vegetates (cold in the morning).
- Peter and Paul (July 12) reduced the time by an hour, and Ilya the prophet - two firing.
- Petrok will come - pinch the leaf, Ilya come - pinch and two. Ilya is ending the summer.
- Ilya will come - will bring awls (rains).
- After Ilyin’s day, rains become harmful.
- Before Ilyin’s day in the hay a pound of honey, after Ilyin’s - a pound of manure.
- Until the day Ilyin dries under the bush, and after Elijah and on the bush does not dry.
- Rains on Ilyin Day, on Makkoveev (August 14) and on the Exaltation (August 27) portend an abundant harvest for next year.
August 4 - Mary Magdalene. Marya - good afternoon.
August 6th - Boris and Gleb. The bread ripens.
12th of August - Power. The best time to sow winter rye.
August 13th - Evdokimovo's conspiracy. The slogan before the Assumption Lent, about which it was said that the Assumption Lent is not hungry, there are a lot of about this time: there is a lot of new bread, and lots of different vegetables (fruits), and berries,
August 14 - First Savior - honey. Seeing off the summer. Beekeepers broke out in the hives of a honeycomb. Bees stop wearing bribes. Swallows fly off: “swallows start spring, they call autumn.”
- From the first Savior - cold dew.
- The Savior has everything in reserve: rain, and a bucket, and gray-weather.
- First Savior, the first sowing, plow in the winter, this rye.
- Before Petrova day (July 12), plow (plow), until Ilyin (August 2) - zaboronit, on the Savior - sow.
August 15 - Stepan-hayloft. Mow aftermath.
- What is the second (old style) number of August - such is September.
August 16 - Anton vortex.
- Whirlwinds about winter are being questioned at Anton.
- If the wind is whirlwind, expect a snowy winter.
August 17- Avdotya-cenogneca. Cucumbers were plucked to Avdotya-haypark;
- It started to rain. “The rain is blind. They say to him: go where they ask you, and he went, mow the hay. They say to him: go where they are waiting for you, but they went where they are waiting. "
August 19 - The second (middle) Spas is apple. The time has come to pick ripe apples. The weather is getting worse. “Take the shanks (guides) in reserve for the second.”
August 21 - Myron-carminer. On this day, as a rule, there are winds.
- Myrogens-carminers drive dust along the road, moaning on the red summer.
August 23 - Lavrenty’s day. On this day at noon we watched water in rivers and lakes: if it is quiet, it does not worry - autumn promises to be quiet and winter without snowstorms.
- Autumn and winter live well, if the water is quiet and rain on Lawrence.
August 27 - Mikheev day. There are usually winds. Cold mornings begin. The last days of August are usually hotter than June and July.
- Silent winds blow on Micah - towards the bucket of autumn; Micah with a storm - by a rainy September.
- Mikheev day with the Indian summer storm-wind echoes.
- If the crane will fly off to the third Savior, then it will be frosty on Pokrov (October 14), but not later.
- It is necessary to plow before the Assumption, and sow before and after. Until the Assumption to plow - press the extra pile. This winter is three days before the Assumption and three days after the Assumption.
August 28 - Assumption. Third Savior. The beginning of the young Indian summer (until September 14).
- If the young Indian summer is bucketed - expect bad weather in the old.
There are still hot days, but the approach of autumn is felt. The first matinees after fresh nights with cold dew. Lingonberry and mountain ash are blushing in the forest, and blackberry covered with a bluish bloom has ripened along the river banks. Heather bloomed along the edge of the forest and in sandy places. Ripe hazelnuts.
From the second half of August until the last ten days of September, the yellowing of the trees continues, growing ever stronger. The birch leaves turn yellow first; her fruits also begin to crumble. In the forest, the astringent spit of falling leaves.
In moist mossy forests, the plow forms sior on spikelet-arrows; disputes of the plauna - medicinal raw materials, are also used in pyrotechnics and in the casting (molding) of valuable metals. Faded and poured, dropped oats. Mass appearance of honey mushrooms on stumps and around stumps. Dandelions, daisies, a companion, cornflowers, chicory, thistle and tatarn continue to bloom.
Animals are preparing for winter. Birds gather in flocks, many molt. The beginning of the departure of some waders, nightingales, swifts, orioles; tits begin to roam in small flocks. Already lays eggs in heaps of leaves, manure or garbage, lizards are still warming in the pripe.
Grasshoppers are jumping and chirping in the grass, they have a massive brood; on dry slopes, rattle fillets fly out from under the legs. Fly swallowtail, euphorbiaceae; the second generation of the winter scoop hatched, a pine sawfly appeared, the caterpillars of the second generation of the cabbage.
Fishing for pike perch and catfish for seasons. Good take carp, roach, ide, bream. At the end of the first decade, cold mornings begin.
In August, amateur vegetable growers mainly work on caring for vegetables in the open ground: water, loosen the soil, remove weeds, feed plants if necessary, continue to fight pests and diseases, and medium and late ripe cabbage cultivate. The third breakthrough of beets, harvesting beam products. Harvesting and post-harvest processing of onion sets and turnips, garlic. Planting bulbs of stacked onions and winter garlic. Repeated crops of early green crops: lettuce, dill, spinach, onions on a green feather, leaf mustard and others.
Poured apples, begin to collect the fruits of summer ripening. Berry crops ripen, collect blackcurrants, gooseberries, raspberries. Phosphate-potassium fertilizers are added to the strawberry plantation, the mustache is trimmed, rows are repaired, planting strawberry seedlings at the point of attacks.
- V. D. Groshev. Calendar of the Russian farmer (National signs)